Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Unexpected Beauty




Flower in pot on my back patio.

I guess I’m not finished with flowers yet. I recently noticed a beautiful green vine growing in a pot on my back patio. My mom thought it might be beans. I had no idea what it was. I only knew it was lovely and that I didn’t plant it.

One day it bloomed. Beautiful trumpet shaped pink colored flowers! Do you think God acts in this same way when it comes to us humans? Just surprises us with beauty that we didn’t cultivate, never planned on or expected?

One day a new desire just blooms, “I think I’d like to try to paint with watercolors,” “Maybe I’ll learn to dance,” fun new ideas that suddenly burst on the scene of our lives. And we stand back in wonder as they take root and grow into the fabric of our being.

Maybe it’s new neighbors, or going to the gym. In the past worship dance and writing have been unexpected surprises that have grown to be an integral part of who I am.

I’m going to India. I’m scared. It will not be a comfortable trip and I really enjoy convenience and ease and toilet paper. But even though I feel unprepared and that I have nothing to offer, I believe it is the Lord who has asked me to go.

So, since LORD means, He decides and I abide, I’m going. I believe that something new may bloom in my heart as a result. I’m praying my heart is soft enough to allow new seeds to spring to life.

My trip is the first two weeks in November and I would really really appreciate your prayers (if the Lord brings me to mind). Thank you.

“Lord, somehow, by your mighty touch, make me like this unexpected flower to the people I meet, and please Lord, I’m asking you to bear the fruit you desire from my going. To the praise of your glory. Amen.”

No comments: