Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Time Has Come

Tonight we’re hosting men’s Bible study in our home. I prepare a meal, the guys eat and then study God’s Word. I love to see my husband and his buddies with bowed heads and open hearts, sharing with each other, gaining from God’s truth.

For me this means summer is now officially over. I always dread this change, longing for the easy pace to continue. A big part of me protests and tries to ignore the fact that days of structure have returned, marching into my unorganized world like the black outlined numbered blocks on my calendar. As much as I resist and resent the order and the free spirit in me insists I haven’t had enough free time I know that this change is necessary and it is good.

Fall brings weekly women’s Bible study too. This provides accountability so that I actually spend time each week nourishing my soul. I don’t do Bible study because I’m holy, I do it because I’m not. This voluntary forced order has wonderful, life changing results. God speaks to me. I am fed by His Word. By next spring I will have studied the whole book of Romans. Now, that is good. It is better than another month of no demands.

Jesus said “The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.” Weak things have no business being in charge, so it is good for me that summer time comes to an end. Time for my flesh to be controlled, for me to accomplish something eternal with the time God’s given me. Time to put aside the easy life for the life of order in order to make a difference. Indulgence is so easy, discipline isn’t, but it is discipline that yields the fruit of righteousness.

(Hebrews 12:11 - All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.) That is fruit I want in my life—so welcome fall! Bring it on, I ready.

No comments: