Monday, September 11, 2006

Cameron, first day of preshcool


Today our grandson, Cameron, went to preschool for the first time. He is two and a half and wasn’t around on 9/11, but what happened that day will affect his life. I suppose every generation of parents and grandparents consider it a hard time to raise children. Maybe because raising children is always a hard job. Not only did Cameron start preschool, I took a close look at pictures of my children when they were about his age. First because Ethne brought me Josh’s baby book and we looked through it. She thought the pictures of me all those years ago were her mom or Aunt Sara. I was astounded at how young Craig and I were! So young to be entrusted with the life of another human being. But I didn’t feel young, nurturing those babies felt natural to me.

I also handled school pictures of my four children, now age 27, 25, 23, 20. You see we have a high shelf in our bedroom and on it I’ve arranged all these childhood pictures—but they keep falling off. Today I dragged out the really tall ladder and figured out a way to keep the pictures in place (I hope). I bent coat hangers to make stands to support the pictures. Anyway, I handled each one and dusted it off and remember, for a moment, my children at that age.

Time is strange. I think it feels unnatural because it is and the older I get the more time seems not to fit. Each of us was made for eternity and at death we will throw off the restriction of time. That will be freeing. So, I have no point to make here, except maybe to try to remember to enjoy the time I have this day, since I don’t know what tomorrow holds (but I know who holds tomorrow). Blessings to all, sue

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sue,

Thank you as always for your insightfulness. Life right now is so trying with my little ones, each one needed something different and feeling as if I am so inadequate. You have reminded me that TODAY is so very special even with its challengs. Thank you for making me stop and reflect on how amazing my babies are, and how I am in no rush for them to grow up on me.

kellie

Marjorie Vawter said...

Thanks for your insights as to why time seems unnatural to us. I'd never thought of it in exactly that way. I do know that there are times I feel so constrained by time. And I've spent some time this last week thinking of my children when they were young. At the time I didn't think time could move fast enough! Now, I wonder where the time went! LOL

Margie