Two of our granddaughters are staying with us for four days over labor day weekend. I'm not sure if a blog is a place to boast but I'll do it anyway. I'm so proud of the healthy snack I made yesterday. Sun Harvest was sold out of the carrot bars that Emeline eats and so we made our own, they are yummy. So, here is the recipe and a picture of Ethne with the Carrot Honey Oat Bars.
Carrot Oatmeal Bars
- Dry Ingredients:
- (1 cup) whole wheat pastry flour
- (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- (1/3 cup) flax
- (1/3 cup) cracked wheat (Can use any combination to equal 1 cup)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp table salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
Fruit, Oat and Veggie Mixture:
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrot*---(10 oz before peeling and trimming) use the finest holes on your box grater and pack them in
- Grate 1 fresh apple and add your choice very finely chopped dried fruit—and nuts (optional) to equal 1 Cup
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 Cup honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup vanilla or plain yogurt
- Mix all dry ingredients together, set aside.
- Mix all fruit/veggie ingredients together, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter, and sugar, honey and yogurt until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs, scrape bowl well, and continue to beat until mixture is thick, and very pale, another 3-4 minutes.
- Turn mixer to low speed, and add Dry ingredients, mixing until just blended.
- Remove mixer or beaters, and stir in fruit and oat mixture by hand until well incorporated.
- Chill one hour at least. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350.
- To form bars, lightly grease your hands with oil. (The kids can help out here! It's very sticky!)
- Shape gently into small loaves. You can also drop them by spoonfuls to make cookies, but they'll cook faster.