Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A Pregnant Life

I'm at my older daughter's house. She's having a baby tomorrow. Now that's the way to do it. None of the misery of waiting and wondering that I went through—thinking I'd never go into labor and never deliver the baby who had invaded and then overtaken my body. I simply concluded that I was destined to remain forever pregnant but never delivered. Is. 66:9 addresses that fear, “Shall I bring to the point of birth and not give delivery?” says the LORD. He is faithful to bring forth new life, at exactly the right moment.

Consider the definitions of ‘pregnant,’ besides “to develop offspring within the body.”

* Weighty or significant; full of meaning.

* Of great or potentially great import, implication, or moment.

* Having a profusion of ideas; creative or inventive.

* Producing results; fruitful.

When I look at these meanings I am first thankful that in my earlier years I experienced the joy of being pregnant and giving birth four times.

Now, in the year of my 50th birthday, I am longing to remain forever pregnant! To live a life that is significant and full of meaning. To be filled with great importance because in my earthen vessel I carry the light of the glory of Jesus. To be full of ideas; creative and inventive! And to be fruitful. That my life would produce results for eternity. “You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.” (John 15:16)

The other comfort is remembering that when I am bearing a work inside me, a burden, a joy or a message, that I must allow time for the development of that work and trust the Lord to bring it forth at precisely the right time.