Thursday, June 08, 2006




Here is my first posting. I wrote this article over ten years ago. It's still one of my favorite.

Love Will Remain
by
Sue Cameron

After 15 years of marriage I just discovered that my husband, Craig, has this— habit. He reminds me of love. Like on Tuesday night at 6:30. Bible study is in our home tonight, at 7:00.

I am frantic. Frantically throwing dishes into the dishwasher, fanatically issuing orders: Josh, Sara, Aimee, Eric, finish your homework and go upstairs!

But, Mom, says Eric, “I’m only in kindergarten. I don’t have homework.”

Then help Josh with his!” I scream

But, Mom,” says Josh, “I’m in seventh grade. I don’t think he can help me much.”

I scowl at both of them. That’s when Craig strolls into the kitchen. Cool, calm, collected.

I thrust the coffee pot into his hands. “Make the coffee,” I demand.

But he doesn’t. He puts down the carafe. Takes me into his arms and tells me I’m beautiful. He likes the looks of a harried woman. Normally, I would sigh and roll my eyes. Not tonight. Tonight, after 15 years of being loved when I’m a raging maniac, a wonderful truth begins to dawn.

Although he’s never said it in words, Craig is reminding me of an eternal truth. Love is the greatest treasure. Love will remain. Dirty dishes wont remain. Hectic moments wont remain. The self-imposed pressure of this hour wont remain. Love will. Love is the important thing. Lets not miss this moment. Lets enjoy the love.

So, instead of yelling at my husband, “Help me do all this stuff,” I kiss him back. It is nice. It is an uncommon response. I think it is better than yelling.

The coffee gets made. The dishes get washed. And I am reminded that this moment is worth enjoying because love will always remain.


these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.” (1 Cor. 13:13)



4 comments:

Leann said...

Hey Sue,

Welcome to the Blogosphere!!! It's me, Leann and I am online, too if you ever want to come and read.

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Academy252

Anonymous said...

"He reminds me of love"

That is too cool.

I also extend a hearty welcome to the blogosphere!! It's a strange and wacky place -but it sure is fun!

Maria said...

I, too, want to welcome you to blogosphere. Leann sent us over here.


I can really relate to this post, my husband does much the same thing, when I let him. Thanks for the reminder to let him do it more often.

Anonymous said...

Sue, welcome to the blogosphere! This post was beautiful. What a picture of how we should be the Mary & not Martha, focusing on the most important things.