Thursday, August 24, 2006

the taste of new discoveries


Here is a picture of Ethne giving me a flower she picked in our front yard.


My granddaughter, Ethne, rubbed her tongue against her gums and proclaimed, “Tooth!” Her mother, Aimee, peeked into her mouth and sure enough, there was a new molar.

I feel a bit like that in my life right now, that there might something just under the surface pushing, straining, trying to break through. Like I’m a clay pot on the wheel and the fist of the Potter is firmly applying gentle pressure to the shape of my life.

This process, as toddlers know, can cause pain, confusion and discomfort. It always brings change, something that wasn’t a part of your life before. You have to learn to adjust. Even once you get used to the change, you still might bite your tongue now and then, but the trade off is that you’re enabled to chew up many delicious items.

Faith is about believing God ordains the timing of the eruptions in my life. Each one is necessary in my process of maturing and even though change requires adjustments which can be hard, in the end I find that I really do love the taste of new discoveries!

No comments: