Friday, August 11, 2006

Hike up the mountain



One day, a group of us decided to hike in Scotland. We wanted to see the view of the lake from the top of the mountain. The periodic rain turned into a downpour, complete with a howling wind.

That hike held some lessons for me. I was so thankful to the person who went to the trouble to draw a map of the hike. That reminded me of how the Lord has provided the Bible to help us navigate safely through life.

I was very grateful to those who had gone before us, years ago, to clear trees and form a path for us to walk. I gave silent thanks for those unknown souls who had carefully positioned flat rocks to form steps so we could safely maneuver the sharp decent down the mountain in the pouring rain. Like the people of faith who preceded us, leaving stepping stone of wisdom and experience to help us in the hard places when the storms rage.

I had help from those around me. Words of encouragement and hands extended to steady my step. And I was especially thankful that my husband had decided to buy me a raincoat just before we left the states. When the wind was at it’s strongest, I lowered my umbrella and tightened the hood of my raincoat. Craig had provided me with just what I needed. Like Jesus, who makes sure we have all we need in our life journey, including friends to help us along the way.

“Thank you Lord, for your provision of your Word, and members of your body to help us climb up to high places in our life so we see the view despite the storm. Amen.”


No comments: