Tuesday, August 29, 2006


Eric, Amy and I with my dad and Alice.

My husband and son are pilots which means we have the pleasure of taking weekend trips by air in a small plane. Last weekend we flew to San Diego and stayed with Craig’s parents and got to see his sisters. We also checked out possible wedding sites for Amy and Eric. It was a fun time.

On Sunday, we decided that instead of flying straight home, we’d fly over to Bullhead City, AZ where my dad and his wife live, so we could have lunch with them. It was a very nice visit, long overdue, since I have not seen my dad for years. That sounds awful, doesn’t it? We don’t live all that far apart, but our lives seem very distant from each other.

Even flesh and blood drift if not connected by a rope of on going communication. I’m learning that this is vital with my kids who are far away. I tend to avoid the phone and sure prefer blogs and emails. But today I talked to my very dear friend, Kelly, after way too long, and it was wonderful. She’s another one who I have neglected. I’ve always assumed that since we’re friends, we’re friends for life. But I see now that a growing relationship requires more than that.

It’s got me thinking about how much work it take to establish and maintain relationships. Since relating is key to having a relationship an effort needs to be made to relate. This is true with people and with Jesus. If I really want to know more of Him and who He is, to discover and uncover His heart and know Him fully, I need to spend time every single day relating to Him. My relationship with Him can’t be based on what we shared in the past but on what we are sharing today.

Sounds awfully basic for someone who has walked with the Lord for as many years as I, but it’s coming home to me in new ways. Effort is always involved. Jesus is available to each of us, but we need to make the effort to go to Him and meet with Him and to listen.

“Lord help me to nurture the wonderful relationships you’ve given me, most especially the one you and I share. Help me, this year, to make this a priority. Amen.”

No comments: