Friday, July 21, 2006

MAKE ME A SERVANT

As I prepare to leave for this missions trip, the Lord is really working on me. I’m not complaining, I want Him to point out the areas where I need to change. Didn’t I end yesterdays post with “Change my heart O Lord?”

As I approached the entrance of Ross, an older gentleman who was standing next to the door, opened it so I could go in. I thanked him, wondering if he worked for the store.

When I checked out I asked the cashier about him and she said he wasn’t an employee, that he collected the carts and opened the door of his own free will.

In my town, many people ask for money. Some boldly with outstretched hand. Others sit quietly in the shadows lifting up appealing eyes. This man had not asked me for money, but I knew that he would appreciate a tip and he looked like he could use the money.

So, on my way out, I quickly slipped him some money. Instantly he offered me something, which I waved away as I turned to leave. As I did, I caught a look of pain in the man’s eye. I knew I’d been rude and unappreciative and treated him like he didn’t matter. So I turned again and reached out my hand to accept his gift. As I did he said, “Thank you.”

In the car, I looked at the simple key ring decorated with strands of brightly colored yarn and I cried that my heart was so unloving. Here I’d been given the opportunity to honor another human being, made in God’s image and deeply love by Him.

With the Lord’s help I will not ignore those I met in Scotland but take the time to show each one the kindness and love of God and to take an interest in them. While I’m there I don’t have errands to do and tasks to accomplish. I am going on this trip to be available to serve and to be the hands of Jesus reaching out.

“Lord, make me a servant, humble and meek. Lord help me lift up those who are weak. And may the prayer of my heart always be, make me a servant of all.”

No comments: