Friday, July 14, 2006

HUMBLE TASKS

“do not be haughty (snobbish, high-minded, exclusive), but readily adjust yourself to [people, things] and give yourselves to humble tasks. . .”
Romans 12:16 Amplified Bible

The last several weeks I’ve been helping out with the new grandbaby and her big brother, entertaining out-of-town visitors and basically being busy serving others. While I’ve really enjoyed it, I’m thankful to be back to quieter days and longer hours of sleep.

It’s been a good reminder of the work involved in being a caring parent and gracious hostess. It’s a good reminder that I need to be praying for my children and others I know who are parenting young children. It’s a challenging job, filled with rewards and demands.

I learned to pray when I became a mother. Doing the job with excellence requires unselfishness and that is painful. It’s easy to think of ourselves, our wants our needs, but when the baby is wailing, it doesn’t matter much if you’re exhausted or hungry or even if you need a shower.

Parenthood and marriage are two places that offer us the chance to grow out of self-focus, self-absorption and self-centeredness. These relationships reveal what’s really inside of us. I never really got mad—until I had children. Then, I was stunned by the angry words that gushed out of my mouth. It’s easy to think we’re pretty fine individuals when there are no challenges in our life.

But there is no life without challenges. And if we are seeking to walk by faith the Lord Himself brings us opportunities to learn to be more like Him, on the inside, where it counts. To submit our attitudes to His will.

These last few week, like this verse, have been good reminders that the Lord delights when I give myself to humble tasks and through Him attempt to perform each one with great love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»