Sunday, January 14, 2007

Welcome! Go away!

(Here is a picture Ethne's dad took of her eating breakfast)













Last night we watched Ethne while her parents went out. When we arrived, Ethne was on the rug playing with tiny hard candy pieces shaped like pacifiers which her mom brought home from a baby shower. Ehtne didn’t know they were candy, to her they were just brightly colored little toys.

As soon as we walked in, she called out, “Hi Grammy! Hi Granddad!” From the sound of it, she was really happy to see us. She seemed pleased we were there.

We joined her on the rug, but when Craig reached out to pick up one of the candy pacifiers, Ethne scowled at him. “No Granddad. Go away. I play with toys.” He was no longer welcome. Her joy at his presence faded as soon as he reached for something she didn’t want to share.

A picture of us with God. Most of us like Him at a distance. In fact His being a part of our lives may even make us happy. But what about when He wants to touch the things we play with, or be involved in our pastimes? Has He overstepped the boundary into our personal desires?

This is a hard one for me, because I don’t often clearly see what I’m withholding from Him. I’m not aware of the boundaries I’ve erected to keep my lifestyle and pleasures at a safe distance from His direct involvement. But somehow, somewhere, in the deep places of my heart I feel that these invisible fences keep me from fully knowing Him.

Oh yes, He knows me fully and the toys that I consider ‘mine’—the attitudes and activities that I refuse to share with Him. He sees those things that have put distance between us. But, I don’t want that kind of relationship. One where I say, “Hello, Jesus! Welcome.” Then in the next breathe, “No, Jesus. Go away. You can’t touch this area, this pleasure, this toy in my life.”

“Oh Lord, All Seeing, All Knowing One, I want to surrender all, everything! To share all with You, to give all to You. Help me to see those things that I desire and enjoy and hold on to that are keeping You from possessing all my mind, heart, soul and strength. Amen.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting observations. I just heard a sermon by Andy Stanley on this very same subject.