Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Balanced World


Ethne doesn't look too happy about the news that delighted us!










A Balanced World

In our world there are many different types of people. Today we’ll consider two. Those who are logical, who look at the facts and think about how things relate and what that might mean. I call these folks the smarties. My husband is a smartie and just to keep thing in balance, so the world isn’t too lopsided, there are folks like me. We float through life thinking creatively about everything but the task in which we’re involved. Now, if you let it , which ever kind of person that you are not can drive you nuts. Thankfully Craig loves me and hugs me and says I cute when I act—opposite of him. The non-smarties bring a lot of joy into the world because they do things that make others shake their heads and snicker.

Like the city officials of El Paso. True, Texas has been blasted with severe ice storms and the result has been deadly accidents. But on Thursday afternoon, with the forecast of snow, and a clear sky, the announcement was made that all schools would be cancelled for Friday. Government workers also got a snow day. The thing is, it didn’t snow. Not on Friday or Saturday. This reminds me of what Jesus said about those who will respond to a weather forecast but refuse to look at world events and prepare for eternity.

Next, I’ll tell a tale on myself. Unfortunately this really happened. My mom was the one to inform us about the news report that the schools and government offices would be closed. Then she added, “Only the trash will be picked up like always.” I heard this and so the next morning I got up early and took the trash can out to the curb. I wondered why I was the only one on the street to remember trash day. I also wondered why there was only one bag in our trash can when it’s often overflowing. I even thought, “How did we manage that?” I took it as a blessing and added some cardboard which was in the garage. Thankfully, my mom saw the lone green trash can sitting at our curb and mentioned that it was Friday and our trash day is Tuesday. It was replaced before Craig could see what I’d done. (but he does read this blog.)

Today was my mom’s turn. Early she announced that she was taking the Split Pea soup out of the freezer to eat for dinner, saying it would go perfectly with the cornbread leftover from yesterday. So, near dinner time, I poured some of the defrosted green liquid into a bowl thinking, It sure does smell spicy! I didn’t eat mine right away, but my mom heated up a bowlful and took it to her room. Later she came downstairs asking me if I’d done something different to the soup. “No, I just froze it.”

“You didn’t add chili or something?”

“No, but it did smell spicy.”

“I ate it but I had to eat two pieces of cornbread just to swallow it.”

“There was no label on the container?”

“No, but it sure looked like split-pea soup.”

“Yeah.”

When I got around to tasting mine it only took one little sip to realize that the thick green liquid was not soup. I went up to inform my mom that she might be spending some extra time in the bathroom.

“Why,” she said.

“You just ate a bowl of green enchilada sauce.”

MORAL: Never eat frozen green stuff if it smells spicy and isn’t labeled.

No comments: