Friday, July 31, 2009

We are His poem




I took these pictures of roses in my friend, Marsha's front yard. We've been friends since high school! She and her husband, Larry, live in Santa Barbara, CA.

Many of you know the great challenge facing our family at this time. Our dear son-in-law, Robert, married to our Aimee, has testicular cancer that was not eradicated during 3-months of chemo. During that time of treatment their girls, Ethne 4 and Emeline 2 lived with us. Tomorrow they are returning, with their mom, who is 8 months pregnant. Their daddy is facing 4 or 5 months of treatment to perform stem-cell transplants in Indianapolis. After the baby is born, Aimee will take the children to Louisville to live with her sister, Sara and family, in order to be within 2 hours Robert.

A friend sent a video based on Eph. 2:10. See it here http://www.tangle.com/view_video?viewkey=849dc7c803281df74bb2&sp=1 It ministered to me in a powerful way. But after thinking about it I’ve decided I don’t really agree with the interpretation.

The skit focused on the word, ‘workmanship, or masterpiece’ and it used the image of God fashioning our lives, as a Sculptor, with a chisel and hammer. I believe the Lord does change us into the image of Jesus, but I don’t think that this verse is referring to the process of cutting away, because the original meaning of the word ‘workmanship’ is actually poem.

Sculpting and writing have some similarities but they are two different processes. I think that sculpting is all about taking away, removing excess, bringing out the hidden treasure.

Writing a poem is more about putting in. Finding the perfect word, choosing carefully, intentionally, lovingly. Only the right words get in. The selection process is exact.

Now, think of the verse again, ‘we are His poem.’ Individually He created each of us with great skill and care. He fashioned us with a purpose and our lives express exactly what He has determined. Each and every word has meaning of its own and together, we form a worldwide poem by being who we were created to be.

So, today I am taking delight in how I am made. Instead of believing the lies of the evil one, who accuses me that I am stupid or lazy, I am deciding that God made me on purpose and I will declare His Authorship by being true to His design.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

Absolutely spectacular. As always, you spoke to my heart. God uses you in such incredible ways.
I cannot imagine what you, Aimee, Robert, Beto, the girls etc etc are going through. You are all in my prayers.

kelly said...

I do like this better:) Kisses, Kelly

Grammy Sue said...

My Friends, Thank you for your responses and thank you for reading my thoughts!
love you
sue

Anonymous said...

Sue, Masha and Larry told me about the great time you had together in SB over the 4th. I sure wish we could get together! It looks like you really have your hands full! You and your beautiful family are in my thoughts and prayers! Please email me any time at neibert1@sbcglobal.net. I would love to hear from you! Love, Margie

Anonymous said...

When you first told me about this interpretation, I wasn't in a place to hear it. However, thank you for making me re-think this scripture. I think the video's message was a good one, but you are right that it doesn't do this scripture justice.

-Amy