Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Singing (away) the blues





Our two young granddaughters are living with us while their mommy takes care of their daddy while he endures chemo treatments. They are used to us and our house but still they miss their parents.
Today, four-year-old, Ethne, had a mini meltdown over the way I styled or failed to style her hair. In the end, she sat in my lap, and cried while I rocked her. “I want to go home. I want Mommy. I want to go home.”
Poor darling. “I know. I know. I know,” I said. Then I explained, “Daddy is so sick that it would be very bad for him if we were there because we all are coughing and our sickness could make him worse.”
Meanwhile, Emeline was saying, “Radio” and found a CD to put in the CD player. She pushed the button and a song filled the air. “The B-I-B-L-E, yes that’s the book for me.” And we all joined in. By the second song, “He’s got the whole world in His hands,” Ethne was doing the hand motions.
Suddenly she got up and said, “Let’s go to the store now.” She crossed to the CD player, pushed ‘stop’ and took out the CD. “Let’s play this in the car.” So we sang songs all the way to Walmart. And I knew that praise and truth has a way of putting our feelings into perspective. I also determined to play more praise music around our house and in the car during this difficult time.

1 comment:

kelly said...

Felt like I was there when you shared this. One thing I have always loved about your home is that you had Praise music going in the background. You are an amazing Grammy. What a blessing for these girls & Aimee & Robert.
Kelly