Thursday, March 12, 2009

Five under Five



Five under five. That’s our household this week. Five grandchildren under the age of four. It’s fun. It’s busy. It’s exhausting.
This was going to be a week when our daughters and their children shared time here at our home. But then Robert was hospitalized so, of course, Aimee stayed with him while their two daughters came here to play with their cousins.
This morning, precious little 18-month-old Emeline was playing around my bathtub, which is a whirlpool type, surrounded by a wide area of tile with a step up to it. She tumbled in, hit her forehead and landed hard on her back. Poor little darling—plus she's cutting about 5 teeth. I hate it when anyone I love is hurting.
I think the Lord must feel like that. Why? Well, the Bible says we’re made in His image. So I believe that whatever we feel or think (that is good, true or beautiful) originates with Him. We don’t offer anything truly original. All things we come up with that are good are, in some mysterious way, a reflection of Him since we’re created in His likeness to reflect His image.
He never intended sin, suffering and pain. In fact, He is the one who rescues us from our sorrows and comforts us in our need and upholds us in our weakness. I thought of that when I lifted up little Emeline. As I held and comforted her and ached over her tears, I sensed that the Lord was also responding to Emeline’s small hurt and to the greater suffering of her parents. He is right there, close at hand, with open heart and listening ears, pouring out His compassion and mercy. I’m thankful He is such a great and personal God.

No comments: