Wednesday, September 05, 2007

THE WITNESS OF PRAYER

I just read an amazing story in The Voice of the Martyrs, magazine. I want to share it with you. It’s about an Algerian woman who wanted to know God and kept crying out to Him. One night, when she was 15 years old, she said, “God, I know you are there, so why don’t you answer me?”

“I was crying on my bed and I saw heaven open and rays of light writing the words, ‘I am the way, the truth and the life.’ I knew this was not a dream, I ran outside on the patio to look up at the sky. I was sure God had spoken to me.”

Later, she was given a New Testament and read the words of Jesus, “I am the Way, the Truth and the Life,” she knew that they were the same words God had spoken to her, so she gave her life to Jesus. Time passed and she was charged with being a Christian in a land where that is illegal.

She went to court. The judge asked her, “What did you find in Islam that you didn’t like?”

She explained how she was searching for God and how He spoke to her and about the words of Jesus she had read.

The judge then asked her about Christian prayer. “Where do you pray? What do you pray?”

She said, “We can pray anytime, anywhere.”

He asked, “Can you pray now? Here?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, pray.”

“Thank you, Jesus, because we are sinner and You died for us. . . “ She knew that her prayer would be an opportunity to share the message of salvation. She prayed a blessing for the leaders of her country and that those in the courtroom would see the salvation of Christ.

She took 10 minutes to finish. “When I said, ‘Amen,’ the officials turned and to look at each other. The room was quiet. They were speechless. The judge said to me, “This case is dismissed. Go home.”

I turned to walk down the long aisle to the door. I heard someone running behind me. I

turned and saw the judge. He caught up with me and said, “Woman, when you pray to Jesus,

please pray for me."

No comments: