Friday, November 17, 2006

Thoughts on India

AT CHURCH

In our host home.



In the darkness of the hours just before dawn the mournful call to prayer, coming from the pagan temple, would pull me from sleep. Slowly others sounds invaded the air, horns blaring, traffic noise even a lone water buffalo welcoming the new day. I became aware of sweeter sounds as those of the house hold splashed water, clanked pots and pans and joined in the singing the morning blessings. In every way the environment in India is different than what is familiar to me. Day and night are not clearly defined and people went about their business in the darkness and in the light.

For several nights, until my roommate, Marion arrived; I shared a room with three others. They all preferred to sleep on the floor while I slept (not very well) and a low wooden platform covered with a thin pad. After a few days my hosts brought in a new thicker pad and my nights became comfortable. When I awoke in the stillness of night to head for the most alien of all territories -- the Indian bathroom-- I had to carefully step around and over legs and heads while imagining the indignation that would arise if I missed.

So, about the bathroom, squatting is the method, and I learned quickly that the lower you squat the better. In the beginning, I often walked across the street to where Scott and Becky stayed in the guest room which has a western style toilet, sort of. I’d asked if the throne was vacant and was welcomed in. But soon I adjusted to the floor toilet. I’ve got to say that I am thankful to be home where I am enjoying the wonders and ease of my life. For everything, from washing hair to eating a meal is labor intensive in India and so life moves at a very busy yet uncomfortably slow pace. Hot water would arrive if requested but it may take an hour or more to show up, since someone had to first heat the water and then pour it into a bucket and carry it to me. Once I tried to help out by getting my own cup of hot water for tea, but my intrusion seemed to cause confusion and complicate an already challenging situation.

The smells where also distinctive with curry dominating. The air had it’s own order, a result of insanity conditions and habits, such as polluted streams and throwing trash on the ground. I couldn’t bring myself to do this, and always went hunting for a trash can. Once I watched a young man load a cardboard box with refuge and simply carry it across the street when he dumped it on the side of the road. What if the wind blows?

This lack of concern for the environment extends to the condition of the buildings and roads and extends to people. I think the lack of compassion for those suffering must stem from a belief system that is based on a lie that you are living today based on how good or bad you lived in your last life. Those who know Jesus must over come a great deal. The culturally accepted mindset that pervades is so opposite of what God says about each person being precious, valued and loved. And living a life that truly obeys Jesus by loving our neighbor is perhaps a greater challenge for our brothers and sisters in India. It is indeed supernatural in any environment. It is the work of the Holy Spirit as He pours His compassion for people out through us. But that is the very reason we went, to encourage the believers in God’s Word; to impart biblical truth to them, to strengthen their faith.

Being in their church was wonderful and convicting. It was not about comfort as the church met in an open room under a roof. Mats were rolled over the cement floor and those of us who were old or western were given plastic chairs. When a young man arrived by using his arms as crutches and swinging his useless legs, which were tucked beneath him, I began to weep. He removed a handkerchief from his pocket to wipe the sweat off his young face. That gesture showed me what it cost him to be there in the Lord’s house, and I asked myself about the dept or shallowness of my own desire to be with God’s people. To what lengths would I go to meet with fellow believers?

I think this is enough sharing today. Maybe it’s been more for me than for you, just so I have a record, of some of my thoughts. Blessings to all, Sue.

No comments: