Saturday, November 18, 2006

Fitting In in India



Women's conference, over 1,700 ladies.

Some young men who started a converstaion with me (they spoke english)

I think the hardest part about being in India, besides Craig’s illness, was that I just didn’t fit in. My skin is light, my hair is grey and curly (thanks to a perm). People stared at me and giggled and some even laughed, which made me feel really awful. I learned to smile and wave when people gawked, and that really helped, but sometimes I just felt like an outsider.

I wonder if Jesus ever felt like he didn’t fit in? Maybe his man side was comfortable and I guess his God side fully understands humans, so that wasn’t difficult. Yet ‘His own received him not,” so there must have been some feelings of being rejected. Also on earth he endured things that he never faced in heaven, human stuff. I got a tiny taste of how hard it is to be away from the comfort and ease of my life in North America, did Jesus ever long to go back?

I’ve determined one thing and it may be the whole reason I went. Although I felt my teaching and sharing was well received and that the Lord used it to encourage and equip, it was so limited. What I mean is one person spending all that money and time to go just doesn’t have that much impact. Even though there were 1,700 women at the ladies conference, the nation of India has over 1 billion and less than 1% knows Jesus.

But things are changing in India. The young people are being well educated. Many western companies now out source their customer service and accounting needs (to name a few) to India. These beautiful young people know how to use computers and the internet. So, I’m thinking that since I’m a writer the web may be a more effective tool to use when sharing about life and the love of Jesus.

Now, if you’re reading this, you’re proving my point. I may not even know you. If I do, we’re not taking on the phone or face to face at this moment. But we are communicating. What a wonderful blessing!

Jesus came in the flesh-- face to face-- which is perfect but we didn't live then so we've never seen him in the flesh and still we know Him. He also used stories to tell of God’s Kingdom and those stories are still alive and being told and He inspired men like Paul to write and those words bring us closer to the Lord. I’ll be telling you more about the writer’s workshop and the girls home and how each one of us is like a beautiful piece of fabric, but for today, I’m done. Blessings to you and thanks for reading! Sue

1 comment:

Clovergirl said...

Hi Sue, I just found your website and wanted to say THANK YOU! IT's a lovely little corner of the internet!