Tuesday, October 24, 2006

My Favorite Birthday So Far







(Kayla and Grammy napping)




(Eric and the other 2 finalists)





We spent a wonderful week cruising, eating, and resting. I loved having all of our children (and children-in-law, and to-be) together in one place.

Do you remember what it was like to be young when someone offered to pay for your meal? Well, our kiddos wanted to be sure that Craig and I got our money’s worth by eating amazing amounts of the fabulous food that was always available.

Dinnertime was always exciting—as we watched to see who would order the most appetizers, entrees or deserts. Our waiter got used to Mike ordering yet another appetizer along with his desert. We all did our share of eating and the fact that everything was delicious made it easy. Watching the interaction and joy of those around the table was such a great gift to me. But in addition to the cruise, which is the best birthday present I could imagine, the kids gave me a certificate for a ‘hot stone massage.’ I will never forget the way that smooth heated stone felt pressing against my 50 year old muscles!

Another highlight was the ‘Superstar’ karaoke competition. Mike and Eric and nine others made it to the second round. Eric sang “Ring of Fire” well enough to be one of five chosen go on to the semi-finals. It was fun to sit as a family and cheer him on.

Eric was one of three performers to make it into the finals, which were held on our last night, in a very large auditorium. The whole thing was really fun! With about 700 in the audience Eric sang two songs. He did a great job and although he was not the over all winner, he was given many gifts and praise from those who enjoyed watching him on stage. When it was over one young boy (maybe about eight years old, clutching a pillow) came up and said, “You should have won!”

Two of our port days were rainy which meant we didn’t get to see much. But on other days we really enjoyed the snorkeling, beach and clear beautiful waters of the Caribbean. Along the way the sky and sea were magnificent and always changing. Our rooms were wonderful and the beds comfortable and you can see in the picture with me and Kayla napping. We enjoyed our time with her and often talked of the other grandchildren who we also love and wish lived closer to us. But it was nice for the married children to have some time to themselves.

I am very grateful for such a wonderful celebration, it has made my 50th birthday my favorite birthday so far!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so thrilled that you had such a wonderful time. Eric and I thought of and prayed for you all often throughout the week. What a joy and blessing it must have been to have a whole week with your most precoius loved right there near by. How did those walkie/talkies work out????

Anonymous said...

Yay! You're back!! I'm glad you had a great time -but I missed seeing your smiling face around here!