Wednesday, October 13, 2010

I WAITED, NO ONE CAME

Here is a short video of a new 'trick' of our grandson! http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=655337661




Today was the first day of a six-week discipleship class which I'm leading. I spent time preparing by reading the great material over and over and praying for unity among us and that God would be with us in a special way.
I stayed up extra late (on my birthday) to bake Pumpkin Cream Cheese bars. Got up early to make Herbal Iced Tea. Pack a big napkins, plates and cups. And, at the last minute, before leaving for church, I searched through my office supplies for name tags and a Sharpie. On the way I stopped to buy a bag of ice.
Once there, I carefully arranged the chairs into a small circle, put out the food and brand new books and adjusted the AC. Then, I waited. No one came.
I thought, I have yummy food, a wonderful study and a open heart but no one to share it with me.
“Lord, is this sort of how you feel when you have prepared something good for me and I don't bother to show up? I just leave you standing at the door—knocking.”
It doesn't take much for me to open the door—usually just the effort of rolling out of bed a few minuets early. He promises to come in and share a meal with me, if I'll open the door. But I'm not even aware that I'm hungry. “Show me my hunger, Lord! Expose my need. Let it gnaw at me like hunger pangs and teach me to respond to your pursuing knock. All you want is time with me.
What's required of me is that I open the door. You do all the rest. The preparation. The coming. The knocking. The waiting. And you even bring the meal for us to share. But too often I leave you standing there knocking and don't bother to show up. Forgive me, Jesus when I say that I love you and want you more than all else but then don't act that way.”

5 comments:

kelly said...

Thank you for sharing this. What do I do when I feel like I am opening the door when he knocks and then I can't see Him standing at the door? I want to have an open door to Jesus
"Lord open my eyes that I may see"

Grammy Sue said...

Once the door is open, He comes in and shares with us. It's like you and me in the morning talking with cups of coffee. I sometimes write a question and then listen and record what I think I hear and then ask for Him to confirm it with a verse or during the day through other things I hear or see!! Remember how many things Elisha saw and heard before if was God in the small still voice? My problem is not showing up often enough! Love you lots. (thanks for reading and responding)

Grammy Sue said...

Once the door is open, He comes in and shares with us. It's like you and me in the morning talking with cups of coffee. I sometimes write a question and then listen and record what I think I hear and then ask for Him to confirm it with a verse or during the day through other things I hear or see!! Remember how many things Elisha saw and heard before if was God in the small still voice? My problem is not showing up often enough! Love you lots. (thanks for reading and responding)

Lori said...

I love your application and spiritual sensitivity to what must have been a very discouraging experience! I do wonder sometimes about how many chances the Lord gives me to meet with him and learn something "the easy way" but I ignore those opportunities and end up learning it in a much more difficult manner. Something I hope I'll remember with the lessons ahead!

On another note, I truly want to go to a discipleship class led by you! I would have come! Any chance Craig wants to fly you to brownwood once a week? We miss y'all!

Grammy Sue said...

Hi Lori
What a cute picture. Thanks for your encouragement (you sweetheart) I hope you've found a great new study and wonderful fellowship at your new church. We sure miss you guys! Love sue