Friday, October 22, 2010

Forgiveness Flows Freely

Have you ever felt that your sin was too big for God to forgive? With thoughts like, “there’s no way He can forgive that it’s just too awful”?
Or may be, like me, you’ve felt like you’re always pestering the Lord to forgive a bunch of little things. “Forgive me for wasting time,” “Lord, I’m sorry I got so irritated and short-tempered.”
That’s how I felt this morning when I awoke. Before I climbed out of bed I was already bombarding Jesus with pleas for His forgiveness for innumerable attitudes and actions that formed the fabric of yesterday (and of every day—in varying degrees.)
In the midst of this casual one-way conversation a thought stopped my flow of confession. “I bet the Lord gets tired of all these countless requests for forgiveness. It’s a constant prayer.”
Well, as you know, every thought is also a prayer, at least it is certainly heard and known by the Lord, and what is prayer anyway but talking to Him (and having Him listen) verbally or in our minds and hearts?
So, as He does and as He will, He answered my thought. His reply was something like this: “My blood flowed freely to cover your sin. No one forced me. No one made me. I gave all of my life freely without reserve. I give forgiveness freely. It flows from Me. There is no limit. There are no boundaries. When I give it to you, there isn’t less to give to others. I offer you free and constant forgiveness each time you ask. No sin is frequent, too large or too small.”
Lavish! Like a massive waterfall, His forgiveness flows, rushes, cascades upon our lives and washes away the stains and wounds of our sins. How can we do anything but praise Him with grateful hearts as we splash in the cooling waters of His grace?

4 comments:

Mary from the Prairie said...

Whenever I would think of blessings or grace or forgiveness (or whatever) being poured forth, I thought of it as being poured from a water pitcher. Not a very powerful image. How wrong I was! In time I too realized that when God pours something, it's a deluge, more than a rainstorm, more like a mighty waterfall!

Grammy Sue said...

Hi Mary! Let it rain! How thirsty souls need the Living Water. Thanks for your beautiful thoughts. Blessings,
Sue

kelly said...

I love the word Lavish, I used it in a bible study recently. Let God smile and Lavish his love on you my very dear friend.

krizza said...

Hi! Love your page. It's heart warming to read something that really inspires us. Keep it going!
My first time here!

krizza

krizza-lifestipsandtricks.blogspot.com