Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Being Overshadowed

I know the holidays are over, but I still have some lingering Christmas thoughts to share with you, some of which I included in our Christmas letter. Here they are:

Have you ever felt overwhelmed? When you read the headlines, or hear about the needs of the poor, or maybe it’s simply the demands of everyday life. If so, consider again the words Gabriel spoke to Mary. He said, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.” (Luke 1:35).
Oh, to be overshadowed—to allow the power of the Most High to swallow up all my inability, worry and frailty. To give Him credit for taking care of all those things I really can’t control and can’t handle. Allowing His bigger than this life plan to eclipse my excuses and fears. To acknowledge that He is God and nothing is too difficult for Him. And, like Mary, to choose to believe and bend my knee and humbly say, "I am the Lord's servant. May it be to me as you have said.”

I guess all the Lord asks of us is really beyond us, isn’t it? Loving our enemies, walking by faith, rejoicing in every (single) thing. He planned it that way on purpose so that we will always depend on his ability and not our own strength. So, when we feel weak, unable and not qualified (like I’m feeling now as I try to write a novel) let’s trust Him and ask Him to overshadow us to accomplish the impossible in our lives, yielded to Him and His purposes.

No comments: