Monday, March 10, 2008

To Love and To Cherish



(Here is our little Queen Emeline)








To Love and Cherish

Sue Cameron

One of my favorite memories is being in an Amish farmhouse, surrounded by stacks of beautiful handmade quilts. It was my privilege to choose one to take home to cover our bed. As I drank in the vast array of colors, patterns, textures and designs, I found I just couldn’t decide on which one was the most special, the most lovely, and my very favorite. Seeing my dilemma, and knowing we could buy only one, my husband made the final selection.

When we get married, we have made our final selection. We’ve chosen one person above all the rest. When we place that ring on their finger we’re saying, “You are my favorite, the one I most desire,

I choose you.” And we promise to love and cherish them for the rest of their lives.

The trick is to think about how well we are doing and not to focus on how much we do or don’t feel loved or cherished. Are we showing our mate that we love and cherish them? How do we accomplish this in the day-to-day routine of living?

According to Gary Chapman, in his book, “The Five Love Languages,” there are five basic ways a person gives and receives love. Why not try expressing your love in one of these ways each day for the next five days? Pay close attention to your mate’s reaction.

Day 1: AFFIRMING WORDS. Tell your spouse what you value and appreciate about them. Praise them for who they are and for what they do. Do this in a written note, on the phone and face to face.

Day 2: QUALITY TIME. Put aside everything else and just spend time being with your spouse. Take a walk with them, read a book together, talk to them as they do a task, just take time to be near them.

Day 3: PHYSICAL TOUCH. Try giving your mate a foot rub, head rub or back rub. Touch their shoulder when you pass by, give them a passionate kiss.

Day 4: GIFT GIVING. This doesn’t have to cost much, try a single rose, a favorite candy bar or a meaningful card. Just give an unexpected gift for no reason at all, except that you love and cherish your spouse.

Day 5: ACTS OF SERVICE. Help your spouse with one of ‘their’ jobs or better yet, do it for them without being asked. Wash the dishes or mow the lawn, take out the trash or pay the bills, go out of your way to lighten their load.

Day by day watch how your spouse responds when you show love to them in these various ways. In doing so you will be able to identify what really makes them feel cherished by you. Then, make it your goal to act in this way on a regular basis. When you do you will fulfill your promise to love and cherish them.

Determine, each day, to cherish your spouse and to cover them with your love. And, like a beautiful handmade quilt, your marriage will be a place of warmth, comfort and beauty.

1 comment:

sisymay said...

Hi Sue, my name is Sherry Hollis and I hope it's ok to write this here. I have been looking all over the internet for info about you. I just wanted to say that your article in FOTF magazine, 'self disclipline- overrated and underused ' has touched me so much! God DOES want me to balance my checkbook and make lists.

I would like to talk to you if that's ok. If not, thats ok too. My email is sisymay@yahoo.com

Thanks very much!!