Monday, June 04, 2007

Listening Well


(Eric and Ethne working on their computers.)


The phone rang. Even though friends and I were in the middle of discussing plans for a women’s Bible study, I rose to answer it.

“Hello.”

My husband said, “Never mind I got it.”

He seemed to be talking to someone in the background so I asked, “What?”

“I needed a phone number, but I found it. Remember I’m going to lunch with Pastor today.”

“Yeah. Where are you going?”

“San Francisco . . .”

I almost blurted, “San Francisco? How in the world can you do that? We live in El Paso.” Thankfully I didn’t.

“. . . Oven,” he finished his statement.

I struggle with interrupting my husband with really stupid questions because I jump to conclusions before listening well. If I just allow him to finish his thought and complete his sentences, I usually understand what he’s saying. It’s not a problem in the delivery but in the listening.

I wonder if I do this with God? Think I heard what He was saying without allowing Him to finish and then jump to an incorrect conclusion and so miss the point altogether. “Oh Lord, please put a guard over my mouth and teach me the discipline of silence so that I can hear the all Words you are speaking to my heart. Amen.”

No comments: